Many of our guests have specific dietary concerns, like gluten sensitivity, or vegan/vegetarian lifestyles. Some are just trying to cut back on heavily processed foods. With a huge bag of organic Meyer lemons from Rita’s tree inspiring us to action, we whipped up some gluten-free lemon mini cupcakes as a Spring treat for ALL of our guests can enjoy. They were a big hit at a recent Wine & Cheese Hour!
We decided to modify a great recipe we found with ingredients already on hand, and made fresh cream frosting with Meyer lemon juice. For an added Spring touch, we used a food processor to crumble gluten-free ginger snaps on the tops of the cakes (“fresh dirt”) and lime zest (“grass”). We hope you enjoy these at home, and please share any gluten-free recipes you would like to see us try here at Raford!
Gluten Free Meyer Lemon Mini Cupcakes
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (we used XO Baking Co.)
- ½ cup rice flour or almond meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- zest from a whole Meyer lemon and juice from half of it
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in one bowl (flours, salt, baking soda, zest).
- Whisk the wet ingredients in another bowl (eggs, oil, honey, juice).
- Fold the wet ingredients into the other bowl until just combined.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each liner and even out as needed.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Insert a toothpick into a few of the muffin centers to check for doneness: toothpick should slide cleanly out of the cupcake center.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Gluten Free Lemon Frosting
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar (make sure it’s made with corn starch)
- 2-3 tablespoons half & half
- a drizzling of more freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Whip butter and cream cheese together using a standing mixer with the paddle attachment: whip together at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add sifted sugar to icing on slow speed, gently increasing to medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Mix in other ingredients and continue mixing until smooth, fluffy, and creamy.
- Use a small spatula to spread frosting onto cupcakes before adding the “dirt” and “grass,” or pour into a pastry bag and use piping tips.