It is always important for us to ensure the most delicious breakfast cuisine to all of our guests, including those of our guests who are gluten free. For breakfast this morning, our innkeeper Alegre decided to incorporate Pamela’s Gluten-Free Baking Mix instead of flour. Our most recent guest and blogger, Beth Hillson, owner of the website Gluten Free Makeovers, agrees that there are many great products out there including flax and whole grain all purpose flour, which are 100% gluten free but are still just as tasty! Even if you aren’t gluten free it is a great way to incorporate healthy whole grains into your diet.
The results of our healthy endeavors were fabulously tasty Lemon Ginger Scones that our guests could not stop raving about! We figured it was time to highlight our gluten-free scones for others to try at home!
Alegre’s Lemon Ginger Gluten Free Scones
3 C Pamela’s Gluten-Free Baking Mix
1/2 C Sugar
5 tsp Baking Powder
1 C. Butter (2 sticks)
1 C Meyer lemons & ginger (or whatever flavor you want)
1/2 C Half & Half or milk (half & half is better)
- Preheat oven to 375° or 350° in convection oven.
- Combine gluten free baking mix, sugar, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter until it is the size of peas or smaller.
- Add in whatever fruit or flavor you desire.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk till frothy.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring till well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.
- Turn dough out and knead briefly. Roll dough out onto a 1/2 inch thick round.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
Let us know how your scones turn out at home and be sure to try these other deliciously gluten free recipes!