The Raford Inn Spring 2013 Newsletter
Little flowers sprouting between the rocks of our 19th century retaining wall, bright orange poppy petals fluttering in the breeze, and a hint of blooming lilac on the air as we serve wine and cheese on the front porch… The buds have broken through and have just begun flowering in our vineyard…
Spring is performing in all its glory in Sonoma County!
As for us at Raford, you might say that we have renewed our commitment in “taking the initiative to make things better:”
- January: Rita and Melia braved over 200,000 square feet of food vendors and demos at the annual Fancy Food Show at San Francisco’s Moscone Center. Despite aching tummies and bags full of information, we came away with lots of ideas and inspiration to grow more creative in our cuisine.
- February: Dane and Melia attended a Trip Advisor Master Class in San Francisco where they took pictures with the Owl mascot, but, more importantly, where they learned “best service” strategies and how to get involved in an exciting new Green program- more details on that soon!
- March: Dane, Rita, & Melia attended Eric Weiss’s Excellence in Customer Service Workshop where, over two intensive days, we worked with our innkeeping and industry colleagues to improve and enrich our understanding of how best to serve our guests.
- April 4th: Dane and Melia became Certified Tourism Ambassadors. This brand-new, nationally-recognized designation means we are committed to growing our knowledge and enthusiasm for our region, in order to provide every guest we encounter with a positive experience. Our goal is to have each Raford employee become a CTA by the end of the 2013- Rita and Tawny will be the next ones on April 23rd!
- Rita and Tawny are working to introduce exciting new breakfast menu items, such as an organic, fresh basil and zucchini frittata, as well as offer more delicious and healthy options that will please gluten-free, vegan, and carnivore alike!
- Dane, Kyle, and friends have been busy planting 75 new Pinot Noir plants in the vineyard.
- Dane and Rita entered their wines into the Sonoma Marin Fair’s Amateur Wine Competition. We did our own “pre-judging” with friends, who made judgments on character, mouth feel, color, bouquet, and flavor. They also tasted our 2011 and 2010 Pinot Noir, 2011 Primitivo, 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon, and 2011 Zinfandel. Both the “judges” and the guests agreed- our Zin was the favorite!
Whether you’re still taking turns changing diapers, or getting them ready for their weddings, you deserve some pampering for your love and hard work. Since we can’t pamper all of you parents in two weekends, we have a very special offer for you:
Purchase a gift certificate for Mom or Dad anytime during May or June and we’ll add a card, champagne, and our handmade chocolate truffles as a surprise when they check in!
For more specials, click here!
We hope your first months of 2013 have been full of beauty, good food and drink, and maybe a surprise or two. We’ll continue to keep you posted on the fun things happening at Raford!