It’s only February, but the skies are crystal clear and the sun is shining- it was 80 degrees on our porch yesterday! Since many of you may have Monday off for President’s Day, and you might just be celebrating Valentine’s Day too, we wanted to share a great brunch idea. Stuffed French Toast is our favorite breakfast recipe, and we serve it every Sunday with all-natural chicken sausage links, organic fruit, and our homemade granola to start.
The Toast is “stuffed” with organic berries, cream cheese, and brown sugar, to name a few of the ingredients. Be sure to plan ahead, though, as it needs to soak up all that goodness overnight.
Here’s the recipe, and we would love to hear your feedback!
- 4 Croissants
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, or whole grain raisin bread
- 13 Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- 1 TBSP. of cognac or brandy (optional)
- 1 TBSP. Vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- Cinnamon (about 2 tsp for sprinkling)
- Brown Sugar (about 1/4 cup for sprinkling)
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 cups of frozen mixed berries
- 1 Banana
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- Grease glass 9×13 baking dish. Cut the crusts off the bread and lay the remaining bread on the bottom of the dish. Set the crusts on the inside seams of the bread.
- Dollop cream cheese evenly over bread with a spoon.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar (app. ¼ cup).
- Scatter banana coins and frozen berries evenly above the bread layer.
- Slice a croissant open like a sandwich. Lay halves flat and cut into 3 wedges each. Take the wedges and lay them face down on top of berries- so the golden side is up. Do this with all of the croissants, piecing them together like a mosaic! Gently press down the croissants.
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, cognac, and baking powder with a blender or Vitamix and pour mixture over bread. Sprinkle more cinnamon and brown sugar to taste.
- Gently press mixture down again to ensure all of the bread is saturated and cover with Pam-sprayed foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until set in center.
- Cut into 12 triangles and sprinkle toast with powdered sugar. Serve with maple or berry syrup.
We hope you enjoy this treat as much as we do. Please let us know if you have questions or want to share how you made this your own!